The Oceanic Research Institute (ORI), Ballina, NSW is a Registered Australian Charity with Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status, endorsed by the Australian Taxation Office. ORI is Australian's only independent, government Approved Research Institute for ocean science, officially approved by CSIRO, Australia.
Our mission is to undertake ocean science under sail, using traditional sustainable wooden sailing vessels, with 100% renewable energy and zero carbon and acoustic emissions, undertaking Discovery Science into key issues affecting the ocean's most climate-vulnerable regions (Arctic, Pacific, Indian and Small Island States).
We are headquartered in northern NSW, operating globally with a focus on Pacific Islands.
We employ seven of UN SDGs as our operational framework (SDG 5, 7, 9, 12, 13, 14 & 17).
Our academic affiliations include:
- Southern Cross University Marine Ecology Research Centre, NSW, where ORI Co-Founders both hold Adjunct Faculty positions.
- Laboratory of Applied Bioacoustics (LAB), University of Catalonia, Spain, where ORI Co-Founders are both Fellows of LAB.
Our international working partnerships include:
- NASA: Oceans Melting Greenland Program, JPL, Pasadena, California. ORI is a field research partner providing NASA with Arctic field research facilities in East Greenland.
- James Michel Foundation (JMF), Seychelles. ORI is an international partner of JMF. In addition, former President James Alix Michel is a member of ORI’s International Advisory Panel
- Mission Blue Sylvia Earle Alliance, California. ORI is an official Alliance Partner